Thursday, January 22, 2009

Finder -600 error - Mac OSx

Had some problems today:

  • Safari hung when playing a youtube snippet in a Flash Player
  • Had to force quit safari
  • Safari was stuck in the dock (the blue light was still on), and when trying to click on it nothing happens - the menu shows "Application not responding" even when there is no Safari process running.

What I tried:

  • Relaunching the Dock - did not help
  • Relauncing Finder - now it is stuck too !
  • Typing open -a Finder, and open -a Safari both result in an error that says "LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed error -600."
  • From there things deteriorate
  • I notice that Time Machine is taking a very long time to perform "finishing backup", and I try "stop backing up" - problem continues.
  • I can't eject the backup drive since Finder will not start (sigh)

What solved the issue:

  • Unplugging the USB cable to the backup drive !

Hopefully someone googling for poblems similar to what I had will find this OSx Leopard tip regarding "LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed error -600" and find it useful.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Had this same problem with a different app today. No time machine backup running. But just in case I unplugged my USB hub (which has no storage devices attached - just keyboard,mouse,eyetv,2 printers) - and it worked. Very odd, thanks!

shaice said...

Thanks! Same USB problem and -600 error with Finder here! I had to unplug my itunes hd, so leopard complains about something wrong, but i replugged it in and restart itunes et voilĂ !

No restart needed!

Thank you so much!

Philip said...

Wow, very strange. I had this problem with Preview. It did not show up on Activity Monitor, but looked like a zombie process (or similar) when using 'ps' from the command line. My only USB device is my mouse, but I unpugged mouse, firewire cable (to TimeMachine drive), ethernet cable, and even the power cable, for good measure. Time Machine was not running, I don't think. Once everything was unplugged, the machine went straight into a forced restart (the choice was to restart with or without software updates). I took a leap of faith and installed updates, and the whole thing restarted and now appears to be fine.

This is the biggest oddness I've encountered with my Mac, other than MS Excel freezing the machine (esp. when opening a document containing macros). Many thanks for posting a solution that worked.

Hanxue said...

Thanks for sharing! I had similar issue yesterday after my Macbook Pro was running for a few weeks, with many applications and high RAM usage. A reboot solved the problem.

It may well be caused by the plugged in Android phone with remote file access. Will try unplugging USB the next time