Saturday, March 8, 2008

I have just converted from Windows to Mac! Having lots of fun setting up my laptop with cool gadgets and useful software. Thought I share the experience as I go along. Firtst, I installed the Blogger dashboard gadget and this is the first post that I have made using this cool tool. Really conventient! Mail Had no problems connecting to my various mail accounts. Worked like a charm. Had some confiuration to do to make the mail client behave like a wanted. Chat Now this was problematic. I have chat accounts in AIM, ICQ, YM, GoogleTalk, and Skype and also want to chat on IRC. Now tell me which client I should use? Turns out that iChat does google talk, jabber, and the mac specific chat only. I spent quite some time figuring out if Jabber was useful. Jabber acts as a gateway and supports multiple protocols. The setting up is a bit messy (a different client (like psi) is needed to connect to jabber servers to configure subscriptions, and I never got it to work with iChat. Then I read somewhere, that iChat perhaps is not the best Jabber client, and to fully make use of Jabber other clients were suggested. Duh ! The reason for setting up jabber was that I really wanted to try to use the software that comes with the mac as much as possible. Ended up doing the following instead: - downloaded Adium with covers all the different types of chat except IRC which is kind of funny as Adium provides support via IRC :) Anyway, Adium recomended Coloquy as an IRC client. - Downloaded and set up Coloquy - which works very well after some intitial problems with connecting with my nick name (I was already logged in from another computer and this caused some trouble).

No comments: