Thursday, August 21, 2008

Migrating from Sony Ericsson P900 to iPhone 3G

My iPhone 16G Black finally arrived after first having received two 8 GB iPhones (could it be because some idiot thought that two 8GB iPhones = one 16GB?).

Anyway, before jumping into all the fun with the iPhone, I needed to sync my old faithful Sony Ericsson P900. I did not really want to install the Sony Ericsson software for this, and I was very pleased when I found that Mac OS x Leopard ISync supports the device!

First hurdle - when scanning for devices in iSync having marked that I wanted to scan for "phones" produced no result, but scanning for "Any" worked, and the mac and p900 started talking ok.

iSync installs an iSync agent on the phone, and first attempt failed, because instructions where not 100% clear. You are supposed to "open" the message to install it - not just accept it with "ok". After a second install it worked ok.

Starting iSync - it quickly gets to 33% done receiving changes from P900, but then it is stuck there for a long time (several minutes), and I thought something was wrong, googled for possible solutions, and while reading some articles, iSync popped up a report with what it wanted to sync!

Worked just fine, and it even got the images for the contacts. Neat.

Heading out to pick up my iPhone... I hope I am going to be happy with it - I really liked the way the P900 was manageable with just one hand using the the wheel on the side.

No comments: